Easy, fun and piled high with delicious drama! The combination of grilled onions and blue cheese on a char grilled burger is a quick fire hit for weeknight meals!
Like most churches, Wednesday is the day of our mid-week service. If I finish work by five, I have two hours to cook, serve and eat, shower, dress, and drive to church. It is the night I simply have to serve something fast and easy.
A simple slider recipe is one of my favorite mid-week quick-fires. I can easily pull the burgers out of the freezer in the morning and typically have all the ingredients in my pantry or frig.
Besides this meal being a snap to make, I love the fun appeal. Miniature versions of anything are irresistibly charming. The smaller, the cuter. The slider, a miniature version of a regular hamburger, should instantly flip the switch to get your spirits into smile mode. What’s better than a delicious burger? Why, two burgers, of course!
Here are a few easy tips for great sliders: 1) Always use great ground beef. You need at least 20% fat in the meat so they will be moist and juicy. 2) Use a good crumbly blue cheese. 3) Make sure you use a soft dinner roll. Look for small sized potato, challah or Hawaiian sweet rolls for extra flavor.
When you start cooking, always start with the onions first. Don’t cook them too fast or they will burn; a nice medium to medium-high heat will work great. Just keep stirring them to keep them from overcooking. Cook them until they are nicely golden brown and have some crispy edges. Pile them up nice and high for that delicious drama appeal!
Martin’s Potato rolls are a great choice for sliders. They are pillow soft and just the right touch of sweetness.
If you aren’t a fan of blue cheese, then switch it for Jack, Swiss, or a sharp Cheddar. If you’re trying to eat healthier, swap out traditional french fries for sweet potato fries. They can be found in the freezer section of most grocery stores. And if you’re trying to diet, just skip the bread, and substitute the fries for slices of extra tomato with a dash of oil and balsamic vinegar. Bon Appetit!
|Blue Cheese & Onion Sliders|
- 1 1/2 pounds premium ground beef 80/20
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced in 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 8 oz Blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing the grill
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced in 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 oz baby lettuce
- 12 potato or brioche rolls, split and warmed
- Ketchup, for serving
- Saute onions in olive oil on medium-high heat, stirring frequently for 15 minutes. Cook until golden brown.
- While onions are cooking, combine beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and salt and pepper in bowl. Mix well. Form the meat into 3 oz patties.
- Brush cast iron grill pan with oil and preheat to medium-high heat.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, until well seared, then flip. Cook other side for 4 more minutes. When sliders are about done, add blue cheese on top and cover until melted.
- Spread a little mayo on the buns, cover the burger with grilled onions, and garnish with lettuce and tomato. Serve with ketchup and a side of sweet potato fries! Bon Appetit!