New Indiana abortion data shows the Indiana abortions dropped 17% under Mike Pence, while he was governor of the state. In 2012, the year prior to Pence taking office, there were 8,808 abortions in Indiana. In 2016, Pence’s last year in office, there were 7,277 abortions.
Indiana Right to Life credits Pence’s pro-life stance with the substantial drop in the state abortion rate. The organization’s President and CEO, Mike Fichter, said:
“The pro-life policies championed by Mike Pence while governor made a life over death difference for Hoosier women and children. Pence held abortion businesses accountable. Those caught breaking the law faced consequences and there are four fewer abortion clinics in Indiana today than when Pence became governor.
“Hoosiers could always count on Pence to promote pro-life legislation and enact pro-life policies. We believe increased informed consent laws and the Real Alternatives program empowered women to choose life during Pence’s term in office. Pence frequently said ‘life is winning in Indiana’ and the substantial drop in the abortion rate shows it. Now as Vice President, we’re thrilled Pence is able to ensure life is also winning in America.”
- Increased informed consent measures for women seeking abortions, including providing full color photos of fetal development and ensuring women seeking abortions are entitled to private counseling instead counseling in a group.
- Funded Real Alternatives, a pregnancy and parenting support services program, to serve Hoosier women.
- Required doctors to document their admitting privileges with the State Department of Health and established health and safety standards at chemical abortion facilities.
- Signed into law the 2016 Dignity for the Unborn law that protected children from abortion on the basis of their sex, race, national origin or a potential disability, like Down syndrome. Even though this ban is tied up in the courts by Planned Parenthood, the law started a statewide conversation about the humanity of the unborn.
- Promoted adoption through the annual Governor’s Adoption Fair and an adoption tax credit for parents.
Indiana Right to Life’s mission is to protect the right to life, especially of unborn children, through positive education, compassionate advocacy and promotion of healthy alternatives to abortion.
Find more information about Indiana’s newly-released 2016 abortion data here!
Click here to read Alveda King‘s statement on abortion.