You’ll want to drink the sauce with your spoon when you taste the bold flavors in this dish. The combination of fresh tarragon with garlic, white wine and tomatoes is over the top delicious! Cheesy crispy garlic bread toasts are the perfect complement. Steamed Mussels in White Wine & Herbs with Crispy Garlic Cheese Toast is a savory seafood classic that all your friends will love!
Erica Galindo is the Founder, and Editor in Chief, of Sonoma Christian Home.com
Married to the love of her life, Erica lives with her husband David and their sixteen-year-old son Jack, in beautiful Sonoma County, California. In addition to being a digital entrepreneur, Erica is a passionate home chef. She loves entertaining and reinventing classic recipes with her unique brand of Sonoma style home cooking.
- 2½ pounds cultivated mussels, scrubbed
- 25 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 5 ripe roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Saute the onion and shallot until transparent.
- Add the garlic and saute until it begins to brown. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the wine, bring to a boil and stir in the mussels. Cover the pot and cook until all the mussels have opened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked mussels with a slotted spoon to a separate bowl. Bring the cooking liquid to a simmer and whisk in the butter, cayenne pepper, paprika and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper , to taste. Pour the mixture over the mussels and serve. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with crispy garlic cheese toast.